When checking out martial arts studios (dojos) your best option is to always visit in person. Get in touch with the instructor – face-to-face contact – and question and compare and think and decide. And here are a few things you should want to know … answers you should want to hear directly. Remember, there are good teachers and not-so-good teachers. And each dojo has a personality. Here are some questions you may want to consider:
- What style of Aikido do you teach?
- How long have you been teaching?
- Do you also practice along side your students?
- Do your classes include regular randori (freestyle practice)?
- How big are your classes?
- Do you teach kids?
- Is there a role for Zen training in the martial arts?
Remember, you are simply on a fact-finding mission. And how the instructor answers the questions is as much information as what the answers are.
To visit us, find the time of the next class. Find us at: 670 Juan Tabo NE (south of Copper on the east side of Juan Tabo, with access off Copper).
But if you just can’t make it to a class and you do want some answers to these questions, send me an e-mail, I will definitely get back to you within a day.
Finally, would you like to receive our weekly newsletter, along with updates on upcoming classes?